Saturday, May 14, 2005

And there it is!

I woke up this morning to several fantastic emails. Three of them started with "Congratulations, you just received a donation!" and the others, including one from my sister-in-law, had various exclaimations along the "Congratulations!!" line. Before I walked last night, we were a mere $13 from our goal. At present, my totals stand in the $2500 range.

How wonderful you all are. Do you realize how wonderful you are? Your efforts have not only afforded me this incredible opportunity, but have served as a beacon of hope and inspiration to everyone who hears our story. In my real, face-to-face life, I have a difficult time imparting the scope of this project to others. They look at me with puzzled glances and secretly think I'm quite odd.

Our work isn't done. I would ask that you continue to be the amazing Avengers you are and channel the fruits of our labors into the fundraising efforts of our two other team members: Frankie and Lindsay. They joined the recently established Seattle Fiber Arts Avengers team for the 3-Day and they are worthy of our support. I walk with both women regularly and they are walking for Frankie's collegue and dear friend, Linda.

You might not know Lindsay. I recently asked her to share with me why she was walking. She responded:

Hi Jesse,

I have been thinking all morning about why I am doing this three day walk.

First, is for my Mom. It hurts so bad to see my Mom hurt the way that she
did, and still is, after she lost Linda. Linda and my Mom were the best
friends that I have ever known. I hope that I am lucky enough to have a
friend like Linda in my life someday. When Linda died, I could tell that my
Mom had lost something so special to her and that she was going to need a
lot of support to get through this. This is a way that I can support my
Mom.

Secondly, I am walking for Linda. Linda treated me and my family like her
own. She was so easy to talk to. Linda was my playground supervisor when I
was in kindergarden. I used to spend all of recess hanging out with Linda
instead of playing with the other kids. We had a very special bond. When I
was in first grade, my best friend, Brenda, died from a brain tumor and
Linda gave me a teddy bear and told me that it was to remind me of Brenda.
Another time that Linda was there for me was when My father-in-law was in
the hospital because of his liver cancer. Linda happened to be there
getting a treatment and I went and sat with her during her treatment. We
talked all about her cancer and about the treatments that my father-in-law
had been doing. Here she was having treatment for this cancer that she had
been fighting for years, and she was as happy as could be. She had made
friends with all of the nurses in that department, everyone there saw that
same light in Linda that I saw when we first met. There was somethig about
her that just made everything okay.


Hopefully this helps.

Lindsay and Frankie have been a real support to me as I prepare to represent us at the Seattle event. You can feel good about supporting them now that you've made our first goal.

Next year, let's have walkers in every city! Sound good?

Here's the link to The Fiber Arts Avengers in Seattle, our maiden voyage, if you will.

Walking/Training update:

With the help of Frankie and Lindsay, I've been doing really well at walking. We have a good schedule during the week and I love our 4.5 mile loop that we walk at 7:30 3x a week. The longer walks are on the weekends. I'm feeling energized and like I'm building stamina and when I don't walk, my body aches to get moving. It sure helps that the weather has been so nice lately and it stays light out until well past 9pm.

I don't go to the Y so much anymore because I hate leaving my kids in the daycare. I'm going to cancel my membership. It's just not worth it money-wise. I feel so stressed out if I don't use it and it's $50 is too much money per month not to be going several times a week. I might have my kids keep their memberships because they really like gymnastics. I can't decide. I'm not very good as a regular schedule and it's hard for me to commit to their classes. Hm.

Alrighty. Carry on, Avengers! You are amazing and I thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you!!!!!!

~J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home