Sunday, March 27, 2005

Rolling, Rolling, Rolling

I blinked and we hit the $270 mark. How does that happen? Donations are pouring in, I tell you. It's amazing. We have a long way to go, but the past few days have been pretty inspiring. Thank you to all of you donors and those of you working hard on making the first round of auctions happen. Stay tuned for more information!

So. I got my shoes. Yes, indeed. Everyone should wear good running shoes all the time. People would be so cheery and nimble. My shoes are little bits of heaven wrapped up in cloth and NASA rubber. Or something. Whatever the technology, I love it. The mesh on top of the shoes actually acts like a mini built-in air conditioning system. As I walk, air gets sucked in (you can't tell from looking that the shoes are any different) and gently pushed out. It's alarming, actually. I paid so much attention to the air circulation, I forgot I was excercising.

I went to a place called South Sound Running and they had me try on some shoes and then walk. The shoe technician (or whatever) then masterfully looked at me walking and was able to tell what kind of stride I have. Strangely enough, I have a really excellent gait. I don't pronate (walk with my toes pointing outward) or walk toward the midline. I am a straight-ahead-go-get-em kind of walker. That's nice to know. It's good to know I'm doing something right, even if it's something I've been doing for almost 30 years.

I saw my sister-in-law today and she gave me the nicest pink ribbon pin. I will wear it proudly, Jen! Thanks so much.

I do have some sad news to report. My aunt Nancy informed me her friend Tracy has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. Just diagnosed meaning within the past couple of days. Tracy's son had a rare form of liver cancer when he was a young boy and he beat it like the avenger he is. Now she will battle the disease. Remember when I said that this cause didn't have a face for me? Let's just say the face has become more clear. In Tracy, I can see the face of this terrible disease and it makes me frightened. Frightened and emboldened to act--because that is all we can really do. We can feel and we can do.

Something very interested about breastfeeding I learned last week---that women who nurse their daughters decrease their daughter's risk of developing breast cancer. AND, did you know that breast cancer risk in premenopausal women is decreased by as much as 60% when a woman breastfeeds for a lifetime total of 5 years? I'm on my way, that's for sure.

Take care and fight the good fight, my dear friends.

~J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home