Friday, April 15, 2005

Things like this

Things like raising nearly $1200 in the first round of auctions make me kind of shake my head and close my eyes. In the past twenty-four hours I keep coming back to our totals in disbelief, wondering how I stumbled into this space of love and support. I don't know how to wrap my head around it all.

It all started when I asked my girls on Woolywonder.com if they might help me with an idea I had for knit pink ribbon keychains. They responded with swift action. Their call to assist has astounded me from the beginning. It isn't often that we face such a collective of unconditional support--and the fact that I have met only a few of the women who are behind these efforts--makes it all the more astounding.

What was once an idea I had for knit keychains has evolved into the Fiber Arts Avengers and in these first round of auctions we have far surprassed what I thought possible. I couldn't have imagined it but I welcome it. And I thank you. I don't know what else to say. Is it enough? Not right now it isn't. Right now I feel as thankful as I can feel but I struggle because what we are fighting against is still so far away to me. Superficially I get that Breast Cancer is terrible. Because I have not faced that monster myself, I will rely on learning the stories of others who are in battle in order to really get a sense of what this is all about.

Right now all I can do is walk and train so that is what I will do to show my thanks. Later, when I am walking, I promise to learn the stories and share them with you so that as we stand proudly united against this disease, we will know what it truly means to be heroes.

~J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home