Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Team Fiber Arts Avengers

After another round of amazing auctions, I think it is appropriate to expand our original mission and extend superhero status to others walking in the 3-Day. Here's what I had to say in a letter to our generous donors at the auctions:

Dear Friend of the Fiber Arts Avengers,

I am writing to you tonight with a heart full of gratitude and awe. I am overwhelmed by the generous contributions of both the donors and the vendors for our second round of auctions benefitting my efforts in the Seattle Breast Cancer 3-Day.

As of this writing, I am just about $400 away from reaching the minimum to participate in the event: $2100. With the proceeds raised from auctions closing this evening and tomorrow, I will easily make the minimum and far exceed what I ever thought possible.

The amazing team of women who have organized and donated to the Fiber Arts Avengers auctions through goods and services have done so because they believe that one small act can a have tremendous effect and the proof is in the outcome of our efforts: to date, I've estimated we will bring in at least $4000, and we have one round of auctions to go next month.

I'd like to see our dollars sponsor other walkers after my minimum is met. After all, the Fiber Arts Avengers is not about me, it is about making a difference. Let's make a difference in a big way. Let's be superheroes to others who are struggling to meet their fundraising goals.

I've begun a campaign to create The Fiber Arts Avengers 3-Day Team. Each location can have a Fiber Arts Avenger team, but as of this writing the only team so far is in Seattle. I hope to organize more walkers in other cities before the next round of auctions in June and perhaps next year the Fiber Arts Avengers will sponsor walkers in all the cities participating in the 3-Day.

One of the women you'll see on our new team page is Frankie Hall. She has recently become my walking partner. Our paths have crossed for a reason, and that reason is that Frankie is a super hero herself and I needed to meet her. She is walking in honor of her dear friend and collegue, Linda, who lost her battle to breast cancer after a grueling fight. Linda and Frankie taught together for twenty years. They raised their kids together, shared their dreams, supported each other through crisis and adversity. When Linda died, she took a piece of Frankie's heart with her.

What makes Frankie a superhero is is that she is recovering from total hip replacement surgery, performed in November of 2004. That means Frankie will walk 60 miles -- just twelve miles short of three back-to-back marathons - eight months after her surgery. Frankie is carrying on Linda's fight now. Just a like a friend should.
I would encourage you to donate to Frankie's site to assit her in reaching her minimum to particpate, which is $2100. Donate directly to her site at:

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=61814&lis=1&kntae61814=B48996885DC84C49B152D58EAE39D4D9&supId=69114866

Stay tuned because we will sponsor more walkers in other cities in the June Auctions! Hopefully we will have walking Avengers all across this amazing country.

With gratitude and love,

Jesse Michener

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home