Saturday, March 05, 2005

Steps

I have to give two quick shout-outs to my sistah friends who have stepped up:

JMO was the very first to donate to the Fiber Arts Avenger's 3Day fundraising effort. Thank you, thank you, thank you. It was so exciting to see us above zero! If you donate, you get to be on the honor roll. All the cool kids are doing it.

Twobeauties
has graciously offered use of her double-jog stroller! My walking problems are s-o-l-v-e-d. Now I have no excuses! I have to walk!

So let's talk about this WALKING business. Training for a 60-mile walk means that I have to do a lot of walking. Not Precor, not jogging, not stationary bike...walking. Have you ever tried to walk a mile on a treadmill? Do you know how mind-numbingly boring it is? Walking courses outside of the gym have been off-limits because of the childcare issue. Problem solved, thankyouverymuch. There's more to it, though.

Take the walking. There is a lesson in this walking business. I'm trying to wrap my head around it all. It has to do with being at peace with my own company, learning to enjoy the solace and the long periods of walking. I have a hard time with the idea that one foot in front of another is enough. I want to run, I want to increase the challenge and make it go by faster.

It reminds me of my labor with Eleanor. Active labor was progressing and I was restless. Nothing satisfied me. My mind was tired but my body begged to MOVE. "What should I do?" I asked the midwife. "You could try resting. Maybe you'll fall asleep and wake up with more energy." "No," I replied, "What can I do to make it stronger? I want to get through it."

"Stairs," she said. And so I walked the stairs. Twice. Twice and then I stood by my bed and howled through transition. Not more than a half hour later, little Eleanor was at my breast, blinking and bewildered. It's just how I do things.

And I can't tackle this challenge with my signature bulldozer tendencies. I will survive this poco a poco: little by little. My Everest is going to be simply moving one foot in front of another: step. Step. Step. Like my heartbeat I hear against the pillow when I lay down just right: thump, thump, thump. Sometimes the thumping is so loud I can't get to sleep; sometimes the consistancy threatens to drive me insane. The same is true with walking. The hardest lesson of all is the simplest one to describe: I must learn to BE. Moment to moment, step by thumping step.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home